Skip to main content

The Decision Between Life and Death


 I have to honestly say that I'm so glad that God has called me to be a nurse and not a doctor. As a nurse, I do whatever the doctors tell me to do. The doc writes the order and I carry it out. Give Benadryl to this patient. Give IV fluids to that patient. Even though throughout my 8 year nursing career I have developed some level of autonomy, I always have doctors supervising me. I never have to call the shots on my own. I like it that way. I'm glad that they are always there and always know more than I do. It's comforting. I never have to make life or death decisions for anyone. The doctors do that. 
The warmer set up to resuscitate
the baby
I have the amazing God-given privilege of working with some of the most amazing doctors in the world who have also their families and homes behind to follow God's calling to care for the physically and spiritually broken in another country. They work an insane number of hours every week and when they are not working, they are still thinking about their patients. They spend hours researching medications and treatments to give the best and most up-to-date care to our patients and decide which is right for each one.
As I hand patients the medications that the doctor ordered, I talk to them about how these medication mask symptoms, try to help failing organs work a little harder, and manipulate vital signs. The medications can't heal their body. Only God can heal their body. 
the Magnesium infusion that I
set up per Doctor's orders for Kenia
Sometimes the doctors try everything they can for a dying patient but nothing works. Sometimes they have to make life or death decisions for patients which they agonize and pray over and collaborate with each other to make. It's moments like that when I glad to be just a nurse and not a doctor. 
It came down to a life and death decision on the part of the doctors in our patient Kenia's case. She was well known to all of us as her sickle cell disease, unknown auto-immune disorder which cause her to have a reaction to any blood transfusion she recieved, and severe anemia during her pregnancy made her extremely high risk. As if that wasn't enough, she developed pre-eclampsia (or extremely high blood pressure in pregnancy that can cause seizures) which then turned into HELLP syndome (a complication of pre-eclampsia causing her to hemorrage). She was drastically deteriorating before her eyes and her baby was struggling in her womb. The only way treatment to save Kenia's life was to deliver her baby at only 30 weeks of pregnancy. In America, a baby born at 30 weeks, would go to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and do really well with the help of modern equipment and medications. Here in Honduras, being born at 30 weeks is basically a death sentence. 
I watched as Dr Isaac and the other docs reviewe her case with each other and even with an OB/GYN in the States. If we did not deliver her baby then she and the baby would both die. If we did, than Kenia might survive and a slim possibility that her baby would as well. The decision was made to go through with the c-section. 
the doctors and I resuscitating Miguel
immediately after delivery 
I remember how eerie quiet it was in the hospital as the doctors had all gone home to eat dinner with their families and to pray. I stayed behind at the hospital making sure that everything was ready for the baby. The only sound was one of Kenia's friend's praying with her and reading scripture to her in the next room. 
Baby Miguel was just 2lb 6oz when he was born. He was the tiniest baby that I had ever been handed during a c-section. Every single medical provider that was site at the time was there to help. And there were even more people who had come to pray. It took over an hour to stabilize him and then move him on the baby warmer into an in-patient room with his mom. He had his own nurse monitoring and caring for him around the clock. In-spite of our best efforts, his lungs were just too premature and he went to be with Jesus only about 52 hours after his birth. 
It was only a few hours after the c-section that Kenia's condition began to turn around. She stopped hemorrhaging and her blood pressure started coming down. She still needed to be monitored closely but went home 4 days later. Praise God!


 The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. 
Blessed be the Name of the Lord.
Job 1:21


Doctor Ryan, Doctor Natalie and I after a successful premature
baby resuscitation in the middle of the night two weeks ago
Praise!
1)Thankful for God's healing of Kenia!
2) The solar panel project is almost completed which will save the hospital a lot of money in electricity bills every month. 

Prayer requests:
1) The container carrying our new baby ventilators is packed and ready to ship! Pray that it gets through customs and to the hospital quickly with no problems. 
2) Pray for God to send someone to teach how to use the ventilators and how to take care of ventilated babies. 
3) pray for all doctors - they carry a lot of weight on their shoulders. Give the ones in your lives an extra hug!
4) Financial provision is always a prayer request. I would not be here if it were not for all of you! If you feel led to support me financially, you can do so by clicking here.


Comments

  1. I love this post. and I am humbled that each of you have dedicated your life to this work. I'll come help as soon and as often as I can. And I will leave again humbled by each of you that give so much and by the work God does through you. Praying for your team from Colorado: for strength, for skill, for miracles and for supplies. love, Renee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Left Behind

One of our new moms died this week leaving behind a beautiful premature baby girl. It was the first maternal death I have experienced in the three years that I have been here and quite possibly the first in the 20 year existence of the the hospital. It was tragic for all of those involved. The culprit .... acute fatty liver of pregnancy. It used to be that this condition was 100% fatal but with so many incredible advances in technology it has lowered to 18% in the United States. That is still pretty high. Acute fatty liver of pregnancy is a very rare condition that can happen toward the end of pregnancy or even up to a few days after delivery.  It happens when the expectant mother has a genetic disorder that causes the "cell's powerhouse, the mitochondira, are not breaking down fatty acids that help the body process proteins, carbohydrates, or lipids(fat). This causes fat molecules to build up in the essential organs such as the liver, kidneys, and even the placenta res

Castaway

Change ... I've written a blog about it before, mostly about how I don't like it.  In the couple of years that have passed since I wrote that blog post I have come to acknowledge that sometimes change is good. But among all the changes that have taken place since that blog post, one thing has remained the same, I still don't like it.  There is actually a big change that is about to take place in my life a couple of months which is why I am bringing up the subject of change. God told me on my first missions trip in 2013 that I was going to serve here at Hospital Loma de Luz in Honduras long term. It took me a couple of years to make it happen but in 2016, I left the States on a two year commitment to the hospital. That two years has turned into five years. How has it been that long already!? During these five years, I have been seeking God's direction on how long I will be here for. In the past 6 months, God has making it clear that my time here in Honduras is coming to

Jupiter, Saturn, Youranus

A happy baby boy whose anus is functioning very well hence his smile under that blanket Okay We're going to talk about poop. Let's be real... not being able to poop is terrible. We have all been there. Now imagine being born without the ability to poop. Yep...it's horrible.  Did you know that you could have been born with one of two congenital defects resulting in it being impossible for you to poop? It's true!   One condition is called Hirschsprung disease when you actually lack the muscles to expel your poop so it just stays in there and builds up over time ... well you can imagine what happens. It is not pleasant. This usually  results in a permanent colostomy and much relief.  The more common condition is that you are actually born without an anus. Just imagine that. In this case you would get a colostomy at birth. If you are blessed to live in America, you would possibly have the surgery to create a hole, have months of dilation of that new hole, and take l